Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fred Thompson and Guadalajara National Philharmonic [1977]

A little confusing as the cover says Fred Thompson And Guadalajara National Philharmonic and he is pictured on the cover with the cute girls but the liner notes make a big deal about all-girl bands, so I guess he is also in the band...anyways a cool live act opens with a sunshine pop medley titled "The 60's" that weaves together "I Dig Rock'n'Roll Music", "Go Where You Wanna Go", "California Dreamin'" and "Sunshine Superman" and ends with a 7:14 long version of "Wipe Out" that is mostly drums and the girls hootin' it up but gets into the surf guitar riff as well. Also a cool "Look Of Love", "Delta Dawn", "I Can See Clearly Now", "Silver Threads And Golden Needles", "Gentle On My Mind". "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" and more...wide range of styles in appropriate yellow/brown cover design. Private press on Tortilla Flats Records # FT-71455 from 1977. [PM]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another "Fred Thompson and the Guadalajara National Philharmonic was made that doesn't show the all-girl group on the cover. Among the numbers were: LeRoy Brown, Second Hand Man,Oldies and Moldies,and When in Doubt. Is it possible to get a copy of this record so that one can convert it to a CD?

TheDroid403 said...

They played in San Diego at a hotel on Harbor Island, across from Lindberg Field (SD airport) for quite a while in the mid to late 1970's. All girl band, except form their leader, Fred Thompson.

Anonymous said...

Sheraton, Harbor Island, every new yrs eve. Thats them. Are they still performing elsewhere?

CyberCyd said...

This is Sydney Peritz, (Fred's 1st keyboardist). I left college to join Fred's 1st female ensemble and go on the road with the band. After Fred's band, I continued my music career and worked with many bands on stage as well as recording studios. It has been an incredibly rewarding career alongside many talented and amazing musicians along the way. I'm still playing music and doing recording projects mostly from home. John Balestreri is my life partner, sound engineer and producer. He runs the analog and digital recording gear we have as a home studio and is one of the best audio engineers in the business. Please reply to say "hello" or if you have any current info about the other members I worked with in Fred's band. Shammy Ruiz, Sheryl Ronin, Pat O'Connor. I read on another blog that Joni McGowan is no longer with us and I wish to express my deepest sympathy and condolences in regards to that. Thanks.